Homeschooling Styles Series: Classical
Welcome to the first in our podcast series about different homeschooling styles! In this episode, I talk with Lisa Nehring of True North Homeschool Academy about what classical homeschooling can look like. Do you have to go all-in? And is it all about the memory work? For whom might this education style be a good fit? Listen in for answers to these questions and some amazing resources Lisa had to share with us!
Links from the episode
Resources for getting started:
- The Lost Tools of Learning by Dorothy Sayers marks the origins of the Classical method. (text can be found for free online)
- Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries were written by Dorothy Sayers.
- Author Cheryl Swope has several resources for classical education for every child.
- John Holt is known as the father of unschooling but his theories are applicable to many styles of homeschooling.
- Other authors mentioned: Grace Llewellen, David and Micki Colfax
- The Well-Trained Mind book and forums
- Bob Jones University Press
- Memoria Press
- Classical Academic Press
- Veritas Press
Miscellaneous resources in order of mention:
- Marva Collins – Cabrini Greens Projects in Chicago – Marva Collins’ Way book
- Triangle Homeschool Resource Village
- IEW Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization
- Claritas Publishing
- Cross Seven Musical Memory Work
- Poetry Out Loud
- National Bible Competition
- National Geography Bee
- National Spelling Bee
- Dover Shakespeare editions
- Dragons Eat Noodles on Tuesdays byJohn Stahl
- Henle Latin
- Classical Academic Press Latin
- Rummy Roots Game
Get Your Free 5 Common Topics Download now!
Music from https://filmmusic.io
“Feelin Good” by Kevin MacLeod (https://incompetech.com)
License: CC BY (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
You might also like...
- Homeschooling Styles Series: Unschooling Welcome to the second in our podcast series about different homeschooling styles! In this episode, I talk with Julie Polanco of Julie Naturally about what unschooling is - and, more importantly, what it ISN'T! Hint: Unschooling is actually hard work! Links from the episode John Holt…
- Homeschooling Styles Series: Eclectic Welcome to the second in our podcast series about different homeschooling styles! In this episode, I talk with Jen Duncan of LifeBeyondTheLessonPlan.com to break down just how we find the right mix of styles to make "eclectic" work in our homeschools. Links from the episode COMING…