Homeschooling Styles Series: Unschooling
Welcome to the second in our podcast series about different homeschooling styles! In this episode, I talk with Julie Polanco of Julie Naturally about what unschooling is – and, more importantly, what it ISN’T! Hint: Unschooling is actually hard work!
Links from the episode
- John Holt is known as the father of unschooling but his theories are applicable to many styles of homeschooling.
- Unschooled: Raising Curious, Well-Educated Children Outside the Traditional Classroom by Kerry McDonald
- If your kids are into adventure and small mammals, check out the Redwall series by Brian Jacques or the Green Ember series by S.D. Smith
- Great Courses Plus is a fantastic place for more in-depth exploration of topics that might fuel your child’s interests.
- The U.S. Army Airborne and Special Operations Museum in Fayetteville, North Carolina is a great destination for those interested in military history and operations.
- John Taylor Gatto was a former public school teacher who advocated for more personal freedom in education.
- Raymond and Dorothy Moore have several books supporting a slower, more natural approach to learning.
- God-Schooling: How God Intended Children To Learn is a perspective on Christian unschooling from Julie Polanco.
- The Unhurried Homeschooler: A Simple, Mercifully Short Book on Homeschooling by Durenda Wilson is a great aid for adding delight-directed learning to your homeschool.
- Unschooling Rules: 55 Ways to Unlearn What We Know About Schools and Rediscover Education by Clark Aldrich is going on my reading list!
- David Elkind’s books about preschoolers and child-development are helpful for guiding your unschooling journey.
Music from https://filmmusic.io
“Feelin Good” by Kevin MacLeod (https://incompetech.com)
License: CC BY (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
You might also like...
- Much of the world is struggling to manage education at home right now as the Coronavirus continues to disrupt business as usual. Just how do you work from home while homeschooling? Julie Mendez of WorkingWhileHomeschooling.com shares her secrets from years of experience doing just that! Tips and Links from…
- Homeschooling Styles Series: Eclectic Welcome to the second in our podcast series about different homeschooling styles! In this episode, I talk with Jen Duncan of LifeBeyondTheLessonPlan.com to break down just how we find the right mix of styles to make "eclectic" work in our homeschools. Links from the episode COMING…
- Homeschooling Styles Series: Classical Welcome to the first in our podcast series about different homeschooling styles! In this episode, I talk with Lisa Nehring of True North Homeschool Academy about what classical homeschooling can look like. Do you have to go all-in? And is it all about the memory work?…